Planning to visit the Dolmen (Muniyara) site during your Munnar trip, but worried about the additional 45km travel from Munnar to Marayoor? If you just want to have a glimpse of these historical structures there are some of them located within 20km from Munnar town.
If your hotel is in the Chinnakanal, Suryanelli, area then this Dolmen site is within 5 km from your hotel. It is located in the ‘Muttukad – Periyakanal” road near to Muttukad Village.
Unlike Dolmens of Marayaoor, the Muttukad Dolmen site has only 10 to 15 dolmens. Marayoor has hundreds of them scattered in and around the Kovilkkadavu Village.
How to reach
From Munnar town you will have to take National Highway 49 (NH49) towards Periyakanal. After about 16km from Munnar you will see the “Power House water falls”. Continue on NH49 and about 1km before Periyakanal tea factory, you should take the road which goes to Bisonvalley Muttukad. Within 2 km on this road you will see a small makeshift board which shows the direction to the dolmen site. The dolmens are not visible from the road. You will need to walk approximately 100 meters from the road to reach the dolmens.
Few things to note:
- The road which goes to the dolmen site is very narrow and has dangerous hair pin bends and sharp turns. Check with your travel agent or hotel to arrange a driver who is familiar with the terrain.
- The dolmens are located on a slippery hillside. Don’t venture into the hills if it’s raining.
- There are no shops or hotels around this area.
- Beware of leeches if its winter season.
- There are no signboards to help the tourists. It’s better to take the help of a tourist guide while visiting this place. Check with your hotel/agent for a guide who knows this place.